As we come to the close of the year, we thought it would be a great time to reflect on the amazing journey that was 2017. In our 9 years at work in Haiti, this year was by far the most fruitful and encouraging. God has blessed Travay Bondye and Grangou in so many wonderful ways. We are certainly still a work in progress, but the future is bright for the kids! Some of the year’s highlights include:
- In January we were able to purchase a large tap tap that allows us to transport the children to school and church. This is a huge blessing and allows us to transport them safely as needed.
- February and March brought awesome training for our staff. Teams came in with nanny training and management training that is allowing our staff to become better and better!
- Summer brought another team of wonderful people to share the gospel and some fun with the kids at Travay Bondye, Maison des Enfants de Dieu and hundreds more at our annual VBS. This is always a highlight of the year for our kids! With very little to do during the summer for most kids, the VBS brings a little escape and a lot of joy!
- September was the launch of our TNT (Teens in Transition) home. Our third group of kids aged out of Travay Bondye and this time it was 10 at once! To keep this large group focused, we partnered with HandUp Global Goods to get an apartment, hire a house manager and institute house policies to get these kids on the path to adulthood. They are also attending church, devotions, school and trade school.
- October brought one of the most awesome blessings we have seen in 9 years! A new home! We have lived in several homes over the years and none have been a very good fit for 70 children. Finally we found a large piece of land with several small houses AND the owner has agreed to sell it to us! This is a huge answer to prayer and we could not be more thankful.
- December closed up the year with our annual Christmas trip. November was a month of collecting a nd working with volunteers in the states to make sure all kids received a special gift. Then in December, a group of 16 traveled to deliver the gifts and throw parties to celebrate the season! Cake, music, beach, crafts, pizza, dancing, gifts and more! It was a GREAT way to close the year!
- This year also brought a special new ministry to us. Some of our Travay graduates started an outreach to kids who live on the streets. It is called Be the change! They try to do a monthly gathering with food and lessons and also visit the kids as much as they can. They are trying to pool their own money to make this happen. We have had the privilege yo partner with them for a few of the monthly visits and for a Christmas party with the kids. It has been an absolute joy to see our kids give back!
This list certainly doesn’t exhaust all of the good stuff! School, new director, new supporters and so much more could be shared. It really has been a great year! Please continue to pray for the kids and jump in where you can! We appreciate all of our friends, we thank you for joining us in this work and we wish you a HAPPY, BLESSED 2018!